- For the Consumer
- License Verification
- Board Info
- Rules and Statutes
- Forms & Renewals
- For the Licensee
OKLAHOMA FUNERAL BOARD
3700 North Classen Blvd, Suite 175
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73118
NOTES OF REGULAR MEETING
MEETING PLACE: Oklahoma State Capitol
2300 North Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
DATE & TIME: September 14, 2017 10:00 A.M.
*** This symbol denotes the application and/or applicant is not in compliance with
235:1-1-2 (c ) (14 day Rule)
A copy of this notice of meeting and agenda has been posted in a prominent location at the office of the Oklahoma Funeral Board, 3700 North Classen Blvd Suite 175, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on September 11, 2017 at 3:30PM
A copy of this agenda is available on the Funeral Board website at
ORDER OF BUSINESS: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the sequence of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.
1. Roll Call-Cooper, Heefner, Highberger, Longanacre, and Vice were in
attendance. Martin & Roberts were absent.
2. Approval of the August 10, 2017 Regular Board meeting minutes-
3. Review complaints with possible vote for probable cause or other action
17-07- Next of Kin Issues-Tabled
17-48- False Advertising-Found Probable Cause
17-58- Compromising Licensing Exam- Found Probable Cause
17-63- No Funeral Director In Charge-Dismiss
18-01- Charging for Services not Performed/ Price List Issues-Dismiss with a letter of concern
18-03- Unpaid Vendor-Dismiss with a letter of concern
18-05- Revocation of license in another State- Found Probable Cause
18-06- Embalming Log Issues-Dismiss with a letter of concern
18-07- Embalming Log Issues- Dismiss with a letter of concern
4. Matters for consideration: Administrative Hearings
At the conclusion of the parties’ presentation and any questions or public discussion by the Board, the Board may in each complaint case:
i. consider and vote on motion(s) to conduct executive session(s) pursuant to 25 O.S.2011, Section 307(B)(8) to engage in deliberations or rendering a final or intermediate decision in an individual proceeding pursuant to Article II of the Administrative Procedures Act;
ii. if an executive session is held, designate a person to keep written minutes of the executive session;
iii. consider and vote on motion(s) to exit executive session and return to open meeting; and
iv. consider and vote on motion(s) regarding possible action to be taken regarding matter discussed in executive session.
4A. Complaint 17-11 Board vs. Criswell Funeral Home, Ada; Tom Criswell, Ada, FDIC, and Joe Don Harrison, Ada, Funeral Director. Member Highberger will need to be recused. This matter is continued from the August 10, 2017 Board meeting. The Board may further deliberate and prepare its findings of fact, conclusions of law, and the final order. The Board adopted the finding of fact and conclusion of law and changed the date of CE reporting by the Funeral Directors to March 31, 2018.
5. Vote to affirm or disaffirm the issuance of the following licenses,
registrations, certificates, dissolution or other action
A. Apprenticeship (original)- Both approved
1. Catherine Hart, Edmond, Bill Eisenhower FH, OKC
2. Patricia Gonzalez-Carter, Macomb, Resthaven FH, Shawnee
B. Apprenticeship (1st extension) Both approved
1. Chelsi Thomas, Antlers, Burkhart FH, Antlers (enrolled at UCO)
***2. Timothy Shaw, Tulsa, Moore FH, Tulsa
C. Funeral Director and/or Embalmer (original) #1,2 & 4 tabled, 3 was approved
1. Brandon Reynolds, Edmond
2. Aaron Kroier, Midwest City
3. Edward Curtis, Lawton
4. Haley McCleland, Chelsea
D. Establishments- All Approved
1. Roberts & Son FH, Blackwell, request to change FDIC from Joseph Culver to Elizabeth Howell.
2. Swearingen FH, Konawa, Bob Swearingen requesting to close location
3. Swearingen FH, Konawa, New Establishment. Swearingen FH, Inc. Owner; Mitch Williams proposed FDIC.
4. Agent Mallory Martin FH, Gore. Todd Martin requesting to close location.
5. White Family FH, Idabel. David White requesting to close location.
6. White Family FH, Idabel. New Establishment. CMG Funeral Partners of Oklahoma LLC, Owner; David White proposed FDIC.
***7. Brown-Dugger FH, Perry request to change FDIC from Jeff Hicks to Madison Ford
***8. Dugger FH, Billings request to change FDIC from Jeff Hicks to Madison Ford (Madison Ford is also requesting to be FDIC of multiple locations, Perry & Billings)
***9. Dugger FH, Garber request to change FDIC from Jeff Hicks to Madison Ford(Madison Ford is also requesting to be FDIC of multiple locations, Perry, Billings, and Garber)
Oakcrest Cremation Center, Duncan. New Crematory. Whitt Management LLC, Owner; Jim Witt proposed FDIC
6. New Business. Any matter not known about or which could not have been reasonably foreseen prior to the time of posting the agenda or any revised agenda. 25 O.S. Section 311.9.-No New Business
7. Oklahoma Funeral Directors Association Report
A. Doctor’s on ROVER- Gordon Welch reported that the funeral industry is having a hard time completing death certificates because all the Dr.’s are not on ROVER as State Statute requires. President Longanacre gave Mr. Welch some tips on how to encourage funeral homes to work with the Medical Licensure Board’s for the DO and MD’s.
B. The Opioid Epidemic –OFDA is having a CE class regarding the opioid epidemic and the dangers that funeral director encounter.
C. Fall 2017 District Meetings- The following dates for district meeting were discussed: September 19 District III Café Bahnhof, 1725 Cecil Street, Waynoka, OK; September 21 District IV White Dog Hill, 22901 Old 66 Frontage Rd, Clinton, OK; September 26 District V Punkins BBQ, 1911 W Grant Ave, Pauls Valley, OK; & September 28 District I Whiskey Cakes, 1901 NW Exp, Oklahoma City, OK. Please contact the OFDA office if you would like to RSVP.
8. Executive Director’s Report
A. Agency Financial update Mr. Ferguson reported gross receipts for Aug 2017 to be $9,360.00 with $936.00 going to the general fund. The expenses for the same timeframe totaled $46,125.52 and net income after expenses totaled $-37,701.52
The next regular meeting of the Oklahoma Funeral Board will be held: Thursday, October 12, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. Oklahoma State Capitol, Room 412C, 2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.