- For the Consumer
- License Verification
- Board Info
- Rules and Statutes
- Forms & Renewals
- For the Licensee
OKLAHOMA FUNERAL BOARD
3700 North Classen Blvd, Suite 175
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73118
NOTES OF REGULAR MEETING
MEETING PLACE: Oklahoma State Capitol
2300 North Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
DATE & TIME: July 13, 2017 10:00 A.M.
*** This symbol denotes the application and/or applicant is not in compliance with
235:1-1-2 (c ) (14 day Rule)
A copy of this notice of meeting and agenda has been posted in a prominent location at the office of the Oklahoma Funeral Board, 3700 North Classen Blvd Suite 175, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on July 11, 2017, at 2:35pm
A copy of this agenda is available on the Funeral Board website at
ORDER OF BUSINESS: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the sequence of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.
1. Roll Call- Highberger, Martin, Roberts, and Vice were present. Cooper,
Heefner, and Longanacre were absent
2. Oklahoma Insurance Department Report
A. Staff Update-Shanna Johnson is no longer employed with the Oklahoma Insurance Department; Lauren Lynch will be the new contact at the Oklahoma Insurance Department. Her contact information is 405.522.4600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Approval of the June 8, 2017 Regular Board meeting minutes-Approved
4. Review complaints with possible vote for probable cause or other action
17-01-Rude customer service and being over charged-Dismissed
17-54-Rude Funeral Director-Dismissed
17-55-Unlicensed Practice-Found Probable Cause
17-59-Embalming log issues-Dismissed with a letter of concern
17-60-Unprofessional Funeral Director & Funeral Home-Dismissed
17-61-Unprofessional Funeral Director & Funeral Home-Dismissed
5. Vote to affirm or disaffirm the issuance of the following licenses,
registrations, certificates, dissolution or other action
A. Apprenticeship (original) approved 1, 3 & 4. Tabled 2
1. Rachel Norman, Broken Arrow, Moore FH, Tulsa
2. Darris Turner, OKC, McKay-Davis FH, OKC
3. Jennifer Johnson, Eufaula, Hunn, Black, & Merritt FH, Eufaula
4. William Leonard, Chelsea, MMS-Payne FH, Claremore
B. Apprenticeship (1st extension) approved 1,3,4, & 5. Tabled 2 & 6
1. Catherine Thomason, Guthrie, Smith-Gallo (enrolled at UCO)
2. Breana Castro, OKC, (FD only) McKay-Davis FH, OKC
(enrolled at UCO)
3. Ashley Armstrong, Sallisaw, Agent Mallory Martin FH, Sallisaw, (enrolled at UCO)
4. Kerri Boyer, Norman, Corbett FH, OKC (enrolled at UCO)
5. Kennedy McKeaigg, Edmond, Matthews FH, Edmond
(enrolled at UCO)
6. Shelby Schrader, Broken Bow, Norwood-Nation FH, Idabel
(not enrolled in mortuary college)
C. Apprenticeship (2nd extension)-Approved
1. Edward Curtis, Lawton, Becker Rabon FH, Lawton
(enrolled at UCO)
D. Apprenticeship (3rd extension)-Approved
1. Emily Lewis, Edmond, Advantage South, OKC
(enrolled at UCO)
E. Funeral Director and/or Embalmer (original)-Approved 3,5, & 6.
Tabled 1,2, and 4
1. Marisa Parman, Shawnee
2. Maura Edwards, Edmond
3. Shelby Edwards, OKC
4. Kassandra Cardenas, Los Angeles, CA (EM only)
5. Catelyn Perry, Chickasha
6. Elizabeth Howell, Edmond
F. Funeral Director and/or Embalmer (reciprocal) Approved 1 & 2.
1. Kelsey Leadbetter, Pennsylvania
2. Roger Shaffer, Arizona
3. Thomas McDaniel, Arkansas
G. Establishments-Approved 1 through 9. Denied 10, tabled 11 & 12
1. Anderson-Burris FH and Crematory, Enid request to close establishment.
2. Anderson-Burris FH and Crematory, Enid, new establishment, S. Gray Investments, LLC owner, Suzanne Gray, proposed FDIC.
3. B.G. Boydston Funeral Home, Inc Lindsay, request to change name from B.G. Boydston to Boydston Funeral Home, Inc.
4. Bradley Family Funeral Home & Cremation Service, Muskogee, Carter Bradley request to close establishment.
5. Bradley Family Funeral & Cremation Service, Muskogee, New establishment, A.Z.E. Enterprises, LLC, owner, Curtis Mike Brown, proposed FDIC.
6. Foster-Petering Funeral Home, Muskogee, Carter Bradley request to close establishment.
7. Foster-Petering Funeral Home, Muskogee, New establishment, A.Z.E. Enterprises, LLC, owner, Curtis Mike Brown, proposed FDIC. (Curtis Mike Brown also applying to be FDIC of multiple locations, Bradley Family Funeral & Cremation Service, Muskogee & Foster-Petering Funeral Home, Muskogee)
8. Checotah Funeral & Cremation Service, Checotah, Carter Bradley request to close establishment.
9. Checotah Funeral & Cremation Service, Checotah, New establishment, A.Z.E. Enterprises, LLC, owner, Curtis Mike Brown, proposed FDIC. (Curtis Mike Brown also applying to be FDIC of multiple locations, Bradley Family Funeral & Cremation Service, Muskogee, Foster-Petering Funeral Home, Muskogee & Checotah Funeral & Cremation Service, Checotah
10. McKay-Davis FH, OKC request to change FDIC to Wilbert Wright. (tabled June 8, 2017)
11. McKay-Davis FH, OKC, McKay-Davis FH, Inc. & Connie Davis request to close establishment.
12. McKay-Davis FH, OKC, New Establishment, Beside Stillwaters, LLC new owner, Diann Simon proposed FDIC
H. Crematories-Approved 1 & 2
1. Anderson-Burris Crematory, Enid, request to close establishment
2. Anderson-Burris FH & Crematory, Enid new crematory, S. Gray Investments, LLC owner, Suzanne Gray, proposed FDIC.
6. New Business. Any matter not known about or which could not have been reasonably foreseen prior to the time of posting the agenda or any revised agenda. 25 O.S. Section 311.9.-No new business
7. Legal Update. Upon statement by legal counsel under 25 O.S. 2011, Section 307(B)(4) advising on whether disclosure of the discussion of the litigation will seriously impair the ability of the Board and State to process, conduct or defend its claim in pending investigation, proceeding or litigation, the Board may:
i. consider and vote on motion(s) to conduct executive session(s) pursuant to 25 O.S.2011, Section 307(B)(4) upon determination by the Board that discussion of the litigation will seriously impair the ability of the Board and State to process, conduct or defend its claim in pending investigation, proceeding or litigation;
ii. if an executive session is held, designate a person to keep written minutes of the executive session;
iii. consider and vote on motion(s) to exit executive session and return to open meeting; and
iv. consider and vote on motion(s) regarding possible action to be taken regarding matter discussed in executive session.
7A. Tulsa County District Court Case Number CJ- 2014-431 Adams-Crest Funeral Home & Cremation Center, LLC & Connie Reynolds vs. Douglas Phenix, Mark Riley, Chris Ferguson, & Larry Rutherford. –No legal update
8. Executive Director’s Report
A. Agency Financial update Mr. Ferguson reported gross receipts for June 2017 to be $11,992.38 with $721.38 going to the general fund. The expenses for the same timeframe totaled $38,624.44 and net income after expenses totaled $-26,632.06
9. Strategic planning- Tabled
A. Discussion and possible action regarding election of Officers for
FY18 Funeral Board.
B. Discussion regarding FY16 & FY17 complaint log and statistics
C. Discussion regarding SB469 Funeral Director Only Education Bill
D. Discussion regarding changes to Oklahoma Funeral Board Rules
E. Discussion regarding changes to Oklahoma Funeral Service Licensing Act.
10. Adjournment -10:30AM
The next regular meeting of the Oklahoma Funeral Board will be held: Thursday, August 10, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. Oklahoma State Capitol, Room 412C, 2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.