- For the Consumer
- License Verification
- Board Info
- Rules and Statutes
- Forms & Renewals
- For the Licensee
OKLAHOMA FUNERAL BOARD
4545 N. Lincoln Blvd, Suite 175
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
NOTES OF REGULAR MEETING
MEETING PLACE: Oklahoma State Capital
2300 North Lincoln Blvd. Room 412C
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
DATE & TIME: 10AM June 14, 2012
ORDER OF BUSINESS: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the sequence of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.
1. Roll Call - Dugger, Longanacre, Parks, Phenix, Pickard, Temple, Walding were present.
2. Introduction of AAG Grant Moak
3. Approval of minutes of the May 10, 2012 Board meeting - Approved
4. Vote to affirm or disaffirm the issuance of the following licenses, registrations, certificates, dissolution or other action
A. Apprenticeship (original) - All Approved
1. Becky Harper, Moyers, Mills & Coffey Funeral Home, Antlers
2. William Bryant, Bristow, Hutchins-Maples Funeral Home, Bristow
3. Christina Shipman, Pryor, Shipman’s Funeral & Cremation Service, Pryor
4. Stephen Casillas, Norman, Primrose FH, Norman
5. Tommy Sheppard, Broken Arrow, Nick Reynolds Funeral Service, Tulsa
6. Jennifer Rogers, OKC, Advantage South Chapel, OKC
B. Apprenticeship (1st extension) - Approved
1. Kendra Seever, Edmond, Hahn-Cook/Street & Draper, OKC
C. Funeral Director/Embalmer (original) - All approved
1. Juanita Herrera, OKC, (Funeral Director only)
2. Kenneth DeLozier, Jr., Chelsea
3. Katelyn Pierce, OKC
4. Laura Lussier, OKC, (Need NBE scores, Law)
D. Funeral Director (reciprocal) - Approved
1. Karyn Ezzell, Norman (Need Law)(Arizona)
E. Establishments - All approved
1. Southwest Oklahoma Mortuary Service, OKC, New Establishment, Eschiti Services, LLC, Owner, Juanita Herrera requesting to serve as FDIC. (Need inspection)
2. Southwest Oklahoma Mortuary Service, Lawton, change FDIC from Larry Eschiti to Carol Cody.
3. Muskogee Cremation & Funeral Service, Muskogee requests change of name from Muskogee Cremation & Funeral Service to Shipman’s Muskogee Cremation & Funeral Service.
4. Vondel L. Smith & Sons, South Western, OKC, requests change of FDIC from Kevin Dennis to Stephen Hopkins also requesting to serve as FDIC of multiple establishments (OKC).
F. Crematory - All approved
1. Serenity Funerals & Crematory, LLC, Tulsa change name from Serenity Funerals & Crematory, LLC to Serenity Trade Work.
2. Oklahoma Cremation Service, OKC (13CM) request to change of FDIC from Kevin Dennis to Derek Czajkoski.
5. Review complaints with possible vote for probable cause or other action
12-31 Merchandise and Contract Issues - Dismissed
12-32 Allegations of Unlicensed Embalming - Dismissed
12-33 Condition of remains - Dismissed
6. OFDA Report - Nothing reported, after a question from Board member Parks, Jay Baines stated that no names had been submitted from OFDA to the Governor’s office regarding the open appointment for the Board.
7. Legal Update - Nothing reported
8. New Business - No new business
9. Deputy Director’s Report - Chris Ferguson spoke on the Board staff’s attendance and participation at the S.E.N.D.A. Convention. Mr. Ferguson also notified the Board of the death of former Executive Director Terry McEnany.
10. Executive Director’s Report – Mark Riley reported FY12 to date and May 2012 financials. He then asked to Board to notice that staff member Laura Lussier had received her license earlier in the meeting and informed the Board she may be leaving the employ of the agency soon.
11. Election of officers for FY 2013 Board. - Mike Phenix elected President and Cindy Longanacre elected Vice-President
12. Discussion and possible action regarding FARB model code of ethics. - Approved FARB model code of ethics.
13. Discussion and possible action on attendance policy. - Board approved an attendance policy whereby after 3 consecutive missed meetings, the Board member is expected to resign from the position unless the absences are approved by a simple majority.
14. Discussion and possible action regarding Monthly or bi-monthly Meetings - Approved continuing to meet monthly.
15. Discussion and possible action regarding 2013 Legislation
A. FY11 & FY12 Legislation - Discussion only with consensus to pursue the ideals previously presented to legislature. No action taken
B. First call and removal Statute language - Discussion with consensus to work toward amending the statute to not require a licensed funeral director to be physically present for first calls. No action taken
C. 60 hours of additional education for license - Discussion about purpose of requirement and request for study of matter by Assistant Attorney General. No action taken
16. Discussion and possible action regarding 2013 Rules
A. FY 12 Proposed Rules - Discussion and consensus of pursuing the FY 12 proposed rules again, but separating fees from agency needs. No action taken.
B. Forgery to Prohibited Acts - Discussion and consensus to add Forgery to Prohibited acts in the proposed rules for FY 13. No action taken.
C. Move date to have items before Board Meeting - Discussion and consensus to change the date of having items to Board staff for Board meetings from 7 days to 14 days ahead of time. No action taken.
D. Apprenticeship - Discussion to move to quarterly reports and reinstate oral examinations before or at the meeting being licensed.
17. Discussion and possible action regarding FY 13 Budget. - Discussion about nonessential travel and then Approved
18. Discussion and possible action regarding
A. one year plan
i. Inspections - Discussion to not require annual inspections, but for them to take place as needed and determined by the Executive Director.
B. five year plan
i. Agency Consolidation - Discussion, no action taken
19. Discussion and possible action on the employment, hiring, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining, or resignation of the executive director, deputy director, inspector, or secretary. No discussion
20. Vote on possible executive session pursuant to 25 O.S. Supp 1998, Subsection 307 (B) (1) Discussing the employment, hiring, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining or resignation of the executive director, deputy director, inspector, or secretary. Executive session entered and exited.
21. Possible action to be taken as a result of the executive session concerning the employment, hiring, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining or resignation of the executive director, deputy director, inspector, or secretary. Board unanimously approved vote of confidence for Executive and Deputy Director.