Frequently Asked Questions
See all Teacher Certification FAQs
Click on the Question to go straight to the answer.
- I have taught in a Head Start Program and would like to teach in a public school. Is there a way I can do that?
- After I receive a bachelor’s degree, what do I have to complete to be certified to teach?
- Can I add another subject area to my Four-Year-Olds and Younger credential by testing?
42. I have taught in a Head Start Program and would like to teach in a public school. Is there a way I can do that?
Yes. If you have five years teaching experience in a Head Start Program, currently hold a Child Development Associate (CDA), and you have earned a bachelor’s degree in any area you may apply for a teaching certificate. This certificate is restricted to teach children four-year-old and younger in a public school.
43. After I receive a bachelor’s degree, what do I have to complete to be certified to teach?
To receive a certificate to teach four-year-olds and younger, please submit the following:
- Verification of at least five years of experience as an early childhood educator with the Head Start program.
- A copy of your current Child Development Associate (CDA) credential.
- Official copies of all college transcripts. Transcript must denote degree earned and the date degree was conferred.
- Passing scores for the Oklahoma General Education Test and the Early Childhood Education Subject Area Test.
- Submit fingerprint cards and the $59 fee for a criminal history record search or, for faster and more accurate results, you may have your fingerprints laser-scanned at the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE), Room 212, 2500 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for a $59 processing fee. Fingerprints are scanned at the OSDE between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. For additional information refer to Fingerprint Information.
- Application for Certificate to Teach Four-Year-Olds and Younger (pdf). Contact the Teacher Certification Section of the State Department of Education at (405) 521-3337 to obtain an application.
- $50 processing fee (check, cashier’s check or money order) made payable to the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
44. Can I add another subject area to my Four-Year-Olds and Younger credential by testing?
No. This credential is limited by Oklahoma Law.
Return to Top of Page | Teacher Certification FAQs