Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council
November 18, 2010
Members Present: Marilyn Burr, Milissa Gofourth, Tim Parrish, Nancy Garner, Letha Bauter, Tammie Jones, Sterling Krysler, Doug MacMillan Jr., Jacki Millspaugh, Perry Sanders, Sabrina Ware, Sue Williams.
Members Absent: Glenda Farnum – excused, Cindy Gallup, Connie Lake - excused, Hailey Mathis - excused, Mike O’Brien - excused, Jon Ringlero, and Amy Salmon – excused.
Associate Members Present: Melinda Fruendt, Jean Jones, and Kim Osmani.
Others Present: Dr. Corey Moore, Rh.D., CRC; Mark Kinnison - DVR Administrator; Jane Nelson – DVS Administrator; Susan Hawkins - DVS Field Coordinator; Kathleen Reed – Assistant to the DRS Commission; Sidna Madden – SILC Programs Manager; Tonya Puryear - Interpreter.
Council Support: Theresa Hamrick, ORC Programs Manager; Linda Jaco, Director of Sponsored Programs, OSU Seretean Wellness Center; Sandra Huffman, DRS/ORC Support.
Call to order and Roll Call: Vice-Chairperson, Marilyn Burr called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. - The roll was called and a quorum established.
REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING – Marilyn Burr, Vice-Chairperson
Consumer Comments/Announcements: No comments or announcements.
Review to approve the August 19, 2010 ORC Quarterly Meeting Minutes. Copies of the minutes were provided in the November, 2010 ORC meeting packet.
Motion made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes as presented.
Needs Assessment Presentation – Dr. Corey L. Moore, Rh.D., CRC
Dr. Moore reviewed highlights, observations and recommendations from the Participant and Stakeholder Satisfaction and Statewide Needs Assessment. A copy of the assessment was included in the November 18, 2010 ORC meeting packet.
Motion made, seconded and passed to accept the report as presented.
Committee Reports: Copies of below committee reports were provided in the November, 2010 ORC meeting packet.
Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council Executive Committee Report – Milissa Gofourth
Ms. Gofourth reviewed the written ORC Executive Committee Report.
Policy & Legislative Committee (P&L) – Marilyn Burr
Ms. Burr reviewed the written ORC Policy & Legislative Committee Report.
Planning & Program Committee (P&P) – Milissa Gofourth, Committee Chair
Ms. Gofourth reviewed the written ORC Planning & Program Committee Report.
Transition & Employment (T&E) – Nancy Garner, Committee Chair
Ms. Garner reviewed the written ORC T&E Committee Report.
Department of Rehabilitation Services Update – Mark Kinnison, DVR Administrator
- Larry Hawkins, Superintendent of the Oklahoma School for the Deaf (OSD) and Oklahoma School for the Blind (OSB) will retire this summer, both positions will be posted.
- OSB is facing some technology challenges.
- Last month DRS co-sponsored the National Rehabilitation Counselor Association event in Oklahoma City.
- A hearing is coming up on the expansion of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services.
- Last week nine staff attended the CSAVR and NCSAB Conference in San Diego, and five (5) attendees were sent to the National Rehabilitation Leadership Institute Training.
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Report – Mark Kinnison, DVR Administrator
- DVR has hired two (2) new Field Coordinators for DVR, Bill Hayes and Terri Williams.
- Social Security Disability Reimbursement Program has taken in $2,302,240.22 this year. 135 clients got off of social security, and collectively counselors and technicians earned a total of $67,300 in SSA incentives.
- Brenda Brasher, a counselor in Ada was recognized as the Oklahoma Project Search Counselor of the Year.
- A foster care youth project is in the initial stages of development.
- Two proposals were accepted to present at the Texas Transition Conference.
- A DVR/DVS Awards Ceremony is scheduled for December 14, 2010.
- The development of an online application that can be submitted and routed electronically to the appropriate office is in the planning stages.
- The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Program was recognized by the Mayor’s Committee on Disability Concerns for developing and making available the Rights and Responsibilities brochure available online in American Sign Language.
- DVR is working to fill some vacancies in Oklahoma City, Muskogee, Lawton and Tulsa. The new combined production goal for DVR and DVS is 2500 this year.
Division of Visual Service (DVS) Division Report – Jane Nelson, DVS Administrator
- They have been tasked with seeing that the online application process gets done.
- DVS had a good year, their goal was 500, and they made 538 competitive closures.
- Assistive Technology (AT) services. They are looking at three weeks from the time a referral is given until the time an evaluation is given back to the counselor. They are also looking at the issue of equipment just sitting there waiting for someone to come and train the client once it has been delivered.
- A servant leadership retreat was completed in September, Programs Managers were brought in and goals and timelines were developed.
- Counselors are underpaid for the requirements placed on them in order to go to work for us, which makes it difficult to fill vacancies. Information is being gathered to determine what counselors are making in nearby states.
- The Employment Support Services Unit began a project with the Department of Corrections (DOC) to work with individuals with mental health issues coming out of the Department of Corrections. DOC does not have the staff or the space so they are talking about maybe refocusing that to the Department of Mental Health.
- The Department of Education has put out a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the AIMS Center. DRS is very invested in the AIMS Center and they are going after the RFP
- The Deaf/Blind Unit recently hired a 999 (temp) who for the first time ever is an individual with deafness who is working with people who are deaf blind.
Combined DVR/DVS Field Coordinator Report – Theresa Hamrick, ORC Programs Manager reported on behalf of Susan Hawkins, DVS Field Coordinator.
The DVR and DVS Field Coordinator Reports are both available as is a combined DVR/DVS Field Coordinator Report in the November, 2010 ORC meeting packet. Ms. Hamrick reviewed the Combined DVR/DVS Report.
Legislative Report – Jean Jones, DRS Legislative Information Officer
- There is a December 10th deadline for requesting the drafting of bills here in Oklahoma.
- An interim study of interest that may or may not result in legislation that they particularly have been watching is formulated to deaf education.
- There have been progress reports related to last spring’s HB3393.
- Administrative rules are again the subject of an interim study.
- One of the big issues will be the budget and state revenue levels with some predictions are that we are probably two (2) to three (3) years out in terms of real recovery.
- Workers Compensation will probably once again be the subject of legislation.
- There is no indication of when the workforce investment act will be brought up again.
- Efforts to appeal health care reform will be an issue.
- Service transportation reauthorization could also come up.
Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) Report – Perry Sanders, SILC Representative: Mr. Sanders reports their plan was accepted by RSA. Michael Ward was elected and will serve as SILC Chair.
Program Manager Report - Theresa Hamrick: Ms. Hamrick reviewed the written Program Manager’s report provided in the November, 2010 ORC meeting packet.
Other Business - 2010 Annual Report - Milissa Gofourth
Motion made, seconded and passed to approve the content of the 2010 Annual Report.
Sterling Krysler - Streamline process for request for proposals and notification to vendors and improve communication.
The next ORC Quarterly Meeting is scheduled for February 17, 2010 at same location.
Motion made, seconded and passed to adjourn the meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 1:35 p.m.