Information on this page will be updated as other resources become available. If you have updates or additional resources, please contact us.
- Traveling During Winter Weather - Oklahoma Department of Transportation (.pdf, 2 pp, 513.7 KB)
- Tormentas de invierno y frío extremo
- Have a Plan
- Understand the hazards of wind chill. Cold temperatures are even more dangerous, and potentially deadly, when combined with strong winds. The lower the temperature and stronger the wind, the more at risk you are.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors, especially the elderly. Make sure they are prepared.
- Plan to bring pets inside during winter weather. Move livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
- Install and check smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing and know how to shut off water valves if necessary.
- Keep your gas tank full for emergency use and to keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Make a Kit
- A cell phone with charger and a battery powered radio.
- Windshield scraper, deicer, snow shovel and small broom for ice and snow removal.
- Several blankets or sleeping bags.
- Rain gear, warm coats and extra sets of dry clothing, mittens, socks and a cap.
- Non-perishable snacks like dried fruit, nuts and other high energy “munchies.”
- Several bottles of water. Eating snow will lower your body temperature so melt it first.
- Sand or cat litter for generating traction under wheels and a set of tire chains.
- Jumper cables, flashlight with extra batteries, first aid kit and brightly colored cloth to tie to antenna if you get stranded.
- Stay Informed
- Know what National Weather Service winter storm watches and warnings mean.
- A winter storm watch is a message indicating a winter storm is possible in your area.
- A winter storm warning indicates a winter storm is occurring winter storm is occurring or will soon occur in your area and could threaten life and property.
- Depend on your NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio, along with local radio and television stations, for weather reports.
Other Preparedness and Weather Resources
- Mobile Applications
- Weather Information
- Storm Shelter Registration
- Future Weather Preparedness