Social marketing is the strategic and dynamic use of classic communications and marketing principles, tools, and techniques. Social marketing is not simply a flyer or news release for an upcoming event, creating an online profile or a social media website or giving away promotional items at a health fair. A successful social marketing plan can influence targeted individuals and groups in an effort to influence their behavior so that they can make better, more informed decisions, improve health and benefit society. SAMHSA has released a new fact sheet to show “The Value of Social Marketing in Systems of Care."
Communication plays an important role in promoting awareness of the need for coordinated services for children and adolescents with mental health needs and their families. Increasing awareness about children’s mental health is vital to OKSOC. Through statewide expansion efforts, OKSOC is working with SOC communities across the state to reach new audiences and forge partnerships to further refine Oklahoma’s agenda on children’s mental health.
The overarching purpose of social marketing is to stimulate support for a comprehensive SOC approach to children’s mental health services. To accomplish this, effective social marketing in your community can:
- Reduce stigma associated with mental illness and promote mental health.
- Increase the likelihood that children and youth with mental health needs and their families are appropriately served and treated.
- Increase awareness of mental health needs and services for children and youth among mental health providers, SOC communities, intermediary groups/organizations and the public.
- Demonstrate to communities that the mental health needs of children and youth are best met through the utilization of SOC.
- Build capacity within SOC communities to sustain services and support to children and youth with mental health needs and their families.
Listing of resources/forms/fact sheets
- Event or Training Request Form
- OSOC Marketing - Events Tracking Form
- Publication Request Form
- Fact sheets
- Successful Outcomes FY 2009 Data
- Successful Outcomes FY 2010 Data
- Successful Outcomes FY 2011 Data
- Successful Outcomes FY 2012 Data
- Technical Assistance Guide for Communications, Social Marketing, and Event Planning
- 2011 SOC Advocacy Toolkit
- Social Marketing from Vanguard Communications
- “The Basics of Social Marketing” from the Turning Point Social Marketing National Excellence Collaborative
- Gateway to Health Communication & Social Marketing Practice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Social Marketing of Successful Components of the Initiative from the Community Tool Box at the University of Kansas
- “Using Social Marketing to Strengthen Public Health Policies” by Kristen Grimm, Founder & President of Spitfire Strategies, a Ned E. Baker Lecture Series from the National Association of Local Boards of Health
- Webinars from the MCH Navigator on a variety of Communication Topics: Fundamentals, Scientific Writing, Grant Writing, Translational Writing, Public Speaking/Presentations, Working with the Media/Social Media, New Media/Communication Technologies, Data Presentation, Additional Resources
Technical Assistance in Social Marketing/Communications
Following is a summary of social marketing/communications activities available to OSOC communities.
- On-call/On-site Consultation
- Publications Assistance
- Social Marketing Planning Assistance
- Staff/Team Training.
Systems of Care Awareness Video featuring Pam Funsch, Lily Macias, and Judge Fransein
Children's Mental Health Awareness Month
Celebrating Excellence in Community Communications and Outreach - 2013
Tip Sheets for Professionals Working with Systems of Care
Social Media Resources